Re: Where are greater risks?

From: David Pick (D.M.Pickat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 02:17:27 PDT

    > 	If I wanted, for some reason, to dd to another raw disk, I
    > would have to make sure the geometry was the same (or the partition tables
    > would not work) and that the drive was as large or larger than the source
    > drive.  To match the md5 sums with a large target drive, you would then
    > have to use dd to extract the correct number of blocks (determined by
    > the block count when the original dd was finished) and pipe it to stdout
    > and from there to stdin on md5sum.

    LBA mode (if in use!) helps here because with LBA mode the physical drive
    geometry is not used and a simulated geometry with the number of heads and
    number of sectors/track set to the maximum allowed by the EIDE interface
    specifications. This means the only variable item is the number of
    cylinders.

    Of course, for forensic examinations you have to be able to cope with
    any old drive...

    --
    	David Pick

    and tracking system please see: