Re: Where are greater risks?

From: sarnoldat_private
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 16:46:29 PDT

    On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 11:42:44AM -0400, dave.goldsmithat_private wrote:
    > When you use the dd command to copy the source disk, does the destination
    > disk need to be the same size/geometry or just as large or larger.
    >
    > If it is larger, how do the MD5 checksums end up being the same? Wouldn't
    > there be additional data bits (in the remaining space) that would cause the
    > hash to change?

    These are good questions.

    The same model disk is going to give best results. :)

    If you have a larger disk handy, you can do the dd into a file on the
    filesystem of the larger disk, and even mount that directly using a
    loopback mount (-o loop) to save yourself from having to free up an
    IDE/SCSI plug or buying another hard drive. (Note, however, I am coming
    from a system administrator perspective. Judges/juries may have other
    ideas. IANAL. :)

    and tracking system please see:

    http://aris.securityfocus.com