RE: Where are greater risks?

From: daniel heinonen (d.heinonenat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 18:19:28 PDT

    Hi all,

    I would like to briefly brush on the topic of forensic computing tools and
    admissibility etc.

    There are a lot of tools out there, most you have to pay for some such as
    dd and md5sum are free and source code is available.  Most will produce a
    bit stream image and in a lot of procedures they specify using a bit stream
    backup where possible and do not say "use ghost to backup drive".

    As Michael stated, know your tools and know them well.  If you are more
    comfortable writing your own tools then so be it.  The police agency I have
    talked to have a person whom is there only to write tools.  But you should
    know your program well.  You should also know your programing language and
    how ide works etc.. very well.  Should know that scanf is dodgy and buffer
    over flows bite, and all that crud.

    I personally would feel more comfortable backing tools like dd and even
    encase as they are tools used in our community and they are documented and
    open for peer review.  Of course encase is not totally documents due to
    proprietary formats but how about we let that slide this time round.

    I know what a bitstream backup is, i know how md5 checksums work, so
    regardless of what tool it is as long as it follows its standards
    (protocols), documented and are open for review (that is what
    cfttat_private is for) I am willing to use it. If it is dd or some
    other variant as long as i can verify their checksums at the end they all
    is sweet.

    BTW number on rule for a forensic tool.  Must be read only.

    The broad range of skills required by an investigator/examiner is the
    reason i have stated to become very interested in this field.  They must be
    able to investigate, plan, speak in public, manage people, have high
    technical skills, research skills, writing/reading, legal knowledge and
    that is just to name a few.

    - Daniel

    [ http://www.fbi.gov/hq/lab/fsc/backissu/oct2000/computer.htm ]

    Traditional forensic analysis can be controlled in the laboratory setting
    and can progress logically, incrementally, and in concert with widely
    accepted forensic practices. In comparison, computer forensic science is
    almost entirely technology and market driven, generally outside the
    laboratory setting, and the examinations present unique variations in
    almost every situation.
    These dissimilarities aside, both the scientific conclusions of traditional
    forensic analyses and the information of computer forensic science are
    distinctive forensic examinations. They share all the legal and good
    laboratory practice requirements of traditional forensic sciences in
    general. They both will be presented in court in adversarial and sometimes
    very probing proceedings. Both must produce valid and reliable results from
    state-of-the-art procedures that are detailed, documented, and
    peer-reviewed and from protocols acceptable to the relevant scientific
    community (ASCLD/LAB 1994).

    and tracking system please see:

    http://aris.securityfocus.com