Re: Where are greater risks?

From: phzyat_private
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 10:17:58 PDT

    Guys.. uhmm.. the point of taking a forensic image is to preserve the
    integrity of the original evidence while being able to muck about and
    analyze the data on an image. Why double your work? Ultimately the
    images should be written to CD and stored for the duration of the trial
    in the least.. write it to a file on your secondary drive, use
    the split utility to make seperate CD size images, burn them,
    reimage unto your analysis drive and bang away.
    And for god sake, do sanitize your drives before reimaging and analyzing
    the data, especially if they are of a larger capacity than the original..

    On Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:08:21 -0400, "Michael H. Warfield"
    <mhwat_private> wrote :

    > On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 10:17:27AM +0100, David Pick wrote:
    >
    > > > 	If I wanted, for some reason, to dd to another raw disk, I
    > > > would have to make sure the geometry was the same (or the partition
    tables
    > > > would not work) and that the drive was as large or larger than the
    source
    > > > drive.  To match the md5 sums with a large target drive, you would
    then
    > > > have to use dd to extract the correct number of blocks (determined by
    > > > the block count when the original dd was finished) and pipe it to
    stdout
    > > > and from there to stdin on md5sum.
    >
    > > LBA mode (if in use!) helps here because with LBA mode the physical
    drive
    > > geometry is not used and a simulated geometry with the number of heads
    and
    > > number of sectors/track set to the maximum allowed by the EIDE interface
    > > specifications. This means the only variable item is the number of
    > > cylinders.
    >
    > 	Which is exactly what I was saying.  The geometry must match, and
    > LBA is a geometry (even if it happens to be an artificial geometry).
    >
    > > Of course, for forensic examinations you have to be able to cope with
    > > any old drive...
    >
    > 	And any idiot who sets up his drive in something other than LBA
    > mode.  We don't always get to chose how these things are installed.
    Which,

    http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/

    --
    Sent with Antiplur webmail: http://www.antiplur.com