Re: Where are greater risks?

From: Rob Quinn (rquinnat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 11:32:41 PDT

    > There is definitely a major screw loose here somewhere. From what I've seen,
    > the OS is largely irrelevant and md5sum and dd are parmontly defensible
    > BECAUSE of their simplicity.

    > ...Linux, FreeBSD and OpenBSD...

      Funny you should mention OpenBSD and FreeBSD. Don't they (and Solaris, and
    NetBSD) have disklabels?  Which the OS will auto-generate for you if missing?
    Which are different from, and don't have to agree with, the partition table
    most i386 Windows people are familiar with? For which large sections of the
    install FAQ's are devoted because so many people get them wrong?

    > With dd (or cp or other tools) you can take an exact image snapshot and then
    > use your cryptography tools of choice [...] to perform independent
    > verification. [...] With the md5sum of the original drive in hand

      Your md5 checksum will only prove that the OS sees the new copy in the same
    way the OS sees the original. The issue is that you don't know that dd is
    seeing the original accurately and completely. I don't know about Linux, but
    for the other OSs mentioned, when you image the "entire disk" you're just
    imaging the disk as it's defined in the disklabel.  You're using data on the
    disk to interpret the disk.

    > With the md5sum of the original drive in hand, you can go into court and
    > easily argue that the image of that drive with the exact same md5sum is
    > identical to the drive itself

     No, dd md5's only prove that the image of the drive now is the same image you
    saw when you looked at the original drive. That doesn't prove you saw
    everything on the original drive.  Your glasses were rose colored then, and
    they still are.

    >>> My view is that one should ideally *never* try to carry out a disk imaging
    >>> in place on a suspect computer.

     Ideally. The reality is many of us will not be ending up in court, or anywhere
    else as strict. We have (and accept) lesser goals, different requirements, and
    limited resources.  We're interested in finding out what happened so that we
    can stop it _now_ and then make sure it doesn't happen again, or at least
    mitigate the risks.
     The ideal goals do give us something to work towards and to compare ourselves
    to, and they help us to determine the costs of the compromises we're taking.

    >>> I would go equipped with a dedicated clean "imager" PC onto which the
    >>> suspect drive can be connected.  This need be no more than a simple PC with
    >>> a spare IDE (and possibly a spare SCSI) port and a power cable splitter.

     The subject "drive" is several dozen large SCSI drives in a hardware array.
    The array driver isn't on the stock OS boot disk or your incident analysis boot
    CD.  Every hour of downtime has a well documented dollar figure attached to it.
    Your primary business objective (and paycheck) is based on your company making
    money, not prosecuting criminals. Do you settle for a copy of last night's full
    dump?

    --
    | Opinions are _mine_, facts                                     Rob Quinn |
    | are facts.                                       rquinn @ sec.sprint.net |

    and tracking system please see:

    http://aris.securityfocus.com