RE: Where are greater risks?

From: James Holley (jholleyat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 07:33:03 PDT

    Mike,

    I respectfully disagree with you on these 2 points:

    > ... the purpose is to make use of a tool which does only one
    > job and is so transparently simple that it can be accepted by
    > non-technical  people in court as valid for legal purposes. After
    > all this *is*
    > forensics!

    There really is no requirement for a forensic tool to be
    "transparently simple". Ghost, SafeBack, EnCase, Maresware, The
    Forensics Tool Kit, The Coroner's ToolKit, etc, are far from simple.
    The folks at Guidance Software have published that EnCase has over
    300,000 lines of source code. But all these tools, when used properly
    by someone who understands to some level of detail what the tools are
    doing can be used to get evidence into court.

    > No way could you defend a complex system like Linux on this basis,
    > particularly taking into account the way is has been developed.

    Linux is just an operating system. From one perspective it is no
    different than any other operating system: it gives users access to
    resources to get a job done. Of course it is vastly different from a
    number of other perspectives, but if a user knows how to leverage the
    built in tools of the operating system, they can forgo buying many of
    the commercial forensic tools available. Linux is a powerful forensic
    platform.

    It is really a matter of training, knowledge, skills and experience.
    And those same qualities are what qualify an individual to testify in
    court as an expert. The real issues are knowing your tools, knowing
    what they can and what they can't do, testing them to validate their
    functionality and using them properly to conduct you work. The
    court's will not argue about that and will not impose upon the
    forensic examiner that any particular tool must or should be used.

    Respectfully,

    James

    James O. Holley
    Advanced Research Projects Team
    Fiderus Strategic Security & Privacy Services
    (w)  703.684.3140           (p)  888.620.5275
    jholleyat_private   or   6205275at_private

    Emergency 24 hour response: 1-877-595-8491

    and tracking system please see:

    http://aris.securityfocus.com