Re: File times?

From: crazytrain.com (subscribeat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 13:09:14 PDT

    Ava

    it's odd, for sure, but an explanation lies in the fact there was never a
    standard for dates/times in windows, from win95 forward.  There are
    actually a number of variables for how dates appear when viewed in win32
    (the OS may play a part, the API may play a part, the application may play
    a part).

    For instance, take your NT box and try the following:

    - create a TEST.TXT file and save to logical volume D
    - now highlight that TEST.TXT file on D: and move (via Drag and Drop) to
    logical volume C
    - Create test2.txt file and save to logical volume D
    - Delete test2.txt file on logical volume D
    - Create test2.txt file on logical volume C
    - check out those date/time stamps of test2.txt on log. C!
    - Create test3.txst file and save to logical volume C
    - right-click that and send to floppy, check out those dates

    the list goes on and on.  The idea is that unfortunately there is not a
    standard if you will for these stamps.  You can actually get it down to
    just how they appear within Explorer by moving and sending, but that all
    goes out the window when an application was used to save it to another
    locale, ya know?!!?

    and as always, please remember that you can use tools to manually mod these
    date/time stamps in both the win32 and *nix worlds.

    farmerdude

    > Good Morning All,
    >
    > Using Windows NT 4.0 file manager to review the file properties for files
    > located on a floppy I came across something I don't understand and hope
    one
    > or more of you may have an answer.
    >
    > The GENERAL tab of the file properties gives you the created, modified and
    > accessed dates and times for file.
    >
    > The STATISTICS tab also gives you the same categories but also gives you a
    > printed date and time.
    >
    > For one of the files that I'm reviewing, the created date and time are
    > different between the GENERAL and STATISTICS tabs.  The GENERAL one is
    July