RE: Where are greater risks?

From: Verkerke, Craig (Craig.Verkerkeat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 06:38:48 PDT

    Actually Bob, the questions you raise as possible issues in court can be
    easily addressed when using any of the imaging tools available to us:

    1.  You said "The evidence you present must be able to stand up to a defense

    attorney asking you to explain exactly how linux moves the data from
    one disk to another, and how you know that nothing could have gone
    wrong with that process."

    Recent court rulings have established that as an examiner/user of the
    software, I don't have to know HOW the program/tool/application moves the
    data, only that it does so in a forensically sound manner.  I know the tools
    I use do this as I have tested them in my lab BEFORE I needed to use them on
    a case.  Additionally, I also use hashing algorithms EVERY TIME to verify
    that the process was completed successfully.

    2.  You said "How do you know that the data that ends up
    on the target drive isn't stuff that was already there from a previous
    investigation, instead of his client's data?"

    I know this because I use a wipe utility EVERY TIME before I burn an image
    to my hard disk.  Again, I tested the utility in the lab to verify that it
    does what it is advertised to do.

    3.  You ask "Have you reviewed the code personally?  Are you an expert on
    operating system design?  Can you explain why Linux has a history of
    introducing new file systems because of problems with the old ones?

    Review the code?  Wouldn't know what I was looking at if you showed it to
    me.  However, as I said before I don't need to know how to write or
    interpret code to know that a utility does or does not work.  I test my
    tools, I verify that they do or do not work.  If they don't work, I don't
    use them, no problem.  The courts uphold this.

    4.  You ask "How about the virtual memory system?  Have you reviewed the
    code for it?  How do you know the VM system didn't overwrite the disk
    buffers with old data from unused sectors on its own boot drive, inserting
    stuff that was actually
    left over from an old investigation that the old drive had been used in?"

    Again, I start with a clean hard disk each and every time I need to image a
    subject's disk.  Period.  There isn't anything to insert, and I'd know if
    that happened because I hash the drive and compare the result with the image
    hash result.

    SA Craig R. Verkerke
    U.S. Department of Energy
    Office of Inspector General