Re: Preview in Encase (or other package) rather than image

From: daniel heinonen (d.heinonenat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 16:53:25 PDT

    Hi Patrick,

    Below is an extract from a document which i believe should best describe
    some bad points about taking only a few files.  I can for see some
    advantages being to collect evidence to obtain greater permission.  Also
    there are big issues about privacy and forensic computing as a computers
    are used for business and personal uses.  Full imaging may not be able to
    take place.  It might be company policy that only the select files are
    obtained.

    If you are in a company situation i would encourage you to get written
    procedures in place for what to do in different events.  This way your
    methods are transparent and should hold up.  Of course if you believe that
    some events are in any way criminal or may go to court i would ask advise
    from legal personnel such as your police department as they are who you
    will be working with or even handing the case over to.

    If you are in a police department i would check your laws and ask a lawyer.
    It is a problem that the files you extract may not give a complete picture
    of events that took place.

    Hope this helps please feel free to ask any further detail or questions
    either on the list or off.

    ----------------------------------------Extract--------------------------------------------------

    complete - tells within its own terms a complete story of particular set of
    circumstances or events

    "But the defence would have argued that the methods used to produce the
    print-outs of the files upon which the prosecution were relying could not
    be scrutinised,  that this was prejudicial, and that as a result all the
    evidence derived from Pryce's hard-disk should be excluded"

    Peter Sommers, 2000, 'Intrusion Detection Systems as Evidence',
    http://www.bcs.org.uk/lac/ids.htm

    ------------------------------------------End----------------------------------------------------

    -Daniel Heinonen

    At 09:42 AM 03/07/01 +0100, you wrote:
    >Before I give my own opinions, has anyone come across the practice of
    >previewing a drive and then taking off the relevant files rather than doing
    >a full image.
    >Does anyone want to comment on the advantages and disadvantages of this
    >methodology?
    >
    >thanks,
    >
    >Patrick Beardmore

    and tracking system please see: