Re: Preview in Encase (or other package) rather than image

From: Michael D. Barwise, BSc, IEng, MIIE (mikeat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 06:13:55 PDT

    Hi Patrick

    Your approach would certainly make sense if
    [1] you knew exactly what you were looking for
    [2] the files were still "current" i.e. not deleted &c.

    The problem really arises when the forensically relevant data are in deleted
    files or slack space in used clusters/sectors. Then, you have two problems:
    [a] the native file system cannot deliver the data for analysis
    [b] VM and temp file usage may destroy the data while you are examining
    the drive

    Hence the need to *do nothing* to the original except read sectors onto
    another medium. The various levels of paranoia needed when making an
    image have been well covered in this thread, and there are obviously several
    different opinions based on personal experience. Forensics is not an exact
    science, as it is about making highly technical issues accessible to non-
    technical minds with an axe to grind!

    Michael D. Barwise BSc, IEng, MIIE
    Computer Security Awareness

    "Addressing the Human Equation in Information Security"