Re: transition to a career in computer forensics

From: Jonas Luster (lokiat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 15:49:08 PDT

    * Elizabeth Genco sez:

    : make use of it.  Any suggestions (from anyone -- not just former
    : sysadmins) on where to best apply my energies would be helpful.  I'd also
    : love to hear about any companies or organizations in the New York City
    : area that do computer forensics work.

    I guess the most important part about doing forensic work is to
    understand the mechanics of a crime, the physiology of the victim,
    psyche of victim and attacker and to understand the way environments
    influence crime mechanics.

    In computer forensics this is not much different. It's imperative to
    learn the inner mechanics of systems you'll be working on. It's hard to
    examine memory and current process tables without understanding how the
    particular OS handles those things and without at least some knowledge
    of how to read raw memory you'll be almost unable to find out how a
    program worked.

    Crime Scene investigators learn to see crime scenes as part of a bigger
    matrix and to apply theories without having to disturb the scene. If
    your testimony and findings are presented in court you'll have to make
    sure that there's no doubt you saw everything and did not destroy
    evidence or modified it.

    Programs may help you at this step but they're merely krutches to make
    your life a bit easier and by no means meant to replace your brain.

    I'd say you're on the right way. Just be aware that no certification -
    as much as they help to convince clueless CEOs - can prepare you for
    what you'll encounter in the field and in court.

    As some kind of self-assessment, why not write a program that - under,
    say, Windows 2k, Windows 95, Linux 2.2 and 2.4 (with and without DEVFS)
    and some BSD flavor helps to save the current contents of the RAM to a
    file and prepares them for analysis. This must be done without modifying
    the contents of the RAM, process table, etc. more than absolutely needed
    and should fit on a disk/cdrom.

    To understand crime mechanics you have to be able to understand the HOW,
    WHY, WHEN, WHAT and WHERE of any given crime. That means - in IT-world -
    you need to understand IP and the routed protocols, how communication
    and entry is done legitimately and in "not-so-legitimate" cases, where a
    given system is vulnerable and why it is that way.

    Best wishes and welcome to the dark side of IT :)

    jonas