RE: transition to a career in computer forensics

From: Gregory_DeGennaroat_private
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 11:22:18 PDT

    Reading more of your email ...

    Yes they most likely want you to be special agents or police officers.
    Although this is not always the case.  What I would do, is stop by a police
    department or the City Hall and tell them that you would like to be in the
    computer investigations department.  They will usually direct you in the
    right direction.  You may want to do an internship at a police department so
    they can get to know you.  Like the computer industry, most of the time it
    is who you know.  Of course, I do not know what your situation is like but
    go on a ride along.  You may actually want to become a police officer first.
    I have been on 16 ride alongs myself and some were boring while others where
    both scary and exciting.

    And of course, have a clean background (again this all depends on where you
    want to go)  California USA is probably the most stringent of any government
    agency in the world.