Re: use of removable hard drive caddies in forensics lab

From: William D. Colburn (aka Schlake) (wcolburnat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 08:01:52 PDT

    We use a lot of caddies here in raid towers.  Usually when a disk is
    getting corrupted I check/replace the cables to the caddy first, then I
    possibly tune down speed of the SCSI bus to see how that affects it.

    The biggest problem with caddies we have is when the fan fails on one,
    since that is annoying to fix.

    For the use you have, you might consider getting one of the bays that
    accepts raw hard drives.

    A last consideration might be making sure that you are gentle with the
    hard drive until it you are sure it has stopped spinning.

    --
    William Colburn, "Sysprog" <wcolburnat_private>
    Computer Center, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology

    and tracking system please see:

    http://aris.securityfocus.com