Re: use of removable hard drive caddies in forensics lab

From: daniel heinonen (d.heinonenat_private)
Date: Sun Jul 15 2001 - 15:58:51 PDT

    Hi Pat,

    I own 2 caddy and my old flat mates owned 6 caddy between them.  I do not
    know the brand but they were Normal IDE and ATA 66 caddies which had a fan
    in the back.  I always turn my machine off then take out the caddy insert
    HDD then put it in the computer.  I have had these caddies for over a year
    and recently one friend had 2 HDDs die, another had 3 and another had 1
    die.  Only one of these drives were not being used in a caddie but it was old.

    At my present work I use external Fire wire drives and I have never had a
    fault (being used on macs). We also have external scsi which also have not
    faulted.  I am sure there are caddies that would not kill drives but I
    would ask for people to recommend a good one since it can be costly to
    replace HDD and evidence.  Luckily most HDD have 3 year warranty but that
    will not bring back evidence.  I like caddies so I would not give up
    hope.  Please let me know if you find a good one.

    FYI - I have seen police keep their computer case open with an IDE cable
    and power cable hanging out.

    -Daniel

    At 03:57 PM 13/07/01 +0100, you wrote:
    >We have recently installed removable caddies for our hard drives to make us
    >more flexible in the way we store our ENCASE image files. During the first
    >week we have had 2 drives go down with damaged clusters. I am considering
    >the chance that the caddies  or their operation are causing the problem.
    >Any ideas?,
    >
    >thanks,
    >
    >Pat Beardmore

    and tracking system please see: