Re: Windows 2000 HAL's

From: sarnoldat_private
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 11:07:58 PDT

    On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 06:34:55PM +0100, Craig Earnshaw wrote:
    > Does anyone have any experience of changing the Hardware Abstraction
    > Layer (HAL) on a Windows 2000 machine?

    Craig, in my experience, getting a windows hard drive to boot on a
    different machine than it was installed on is more work than it should
    be.[1][2]

    I think your best bet is to try to get your hands on a computer the same
    make and model, if the company went through a large enough vendor to
    call their computers "makes" and "models".

    Another possibility is VMware -- it is probably different than the
    machines you have in your lab, and since it can be downloaded very
    easily, you are likely to have better speed with this. www.vmware.com.
    (Whether or not an emulator is legitimate is another matter entirely.)

    Good luck.

    [1]: it is for this reason that I recommend a fresh install of windows
    on every machine -- no OS 'upgrade versions' ever, and always re-install
    when a new motherboard is involved.

    [2]: my friends corroborate me on this -- I once popped one motherboard
    out and threw in a completely different one on my Linux box, and my
    friends stood in awe as everything worked perfectly. This was contrary to
    their hundreds of experiences with windows machines, which get upset over
    the smallest matters.

    and tracking system please see:

    http://aris.securityfocus.com