Re: RE: Anonymity

From: miloneat_private
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 14:07:36 PDT

    Eric asked:
    >BTW, am I reading this wrong or was the question:
    	...methods/technologies are used to _discover_ anonymous users? [emphasis mine]

    Yes, Eric. My (albeit sloppy-worded) question asked for both aspects of the anonymity issue, but I am most interested in discovering the identity of anonymous users. Although many generous contributors provided me with advice off the list, most of the responses had to do with maintaining anonymity. One commentator noted (and I agree) the irony involved in the current privacy/anonymity situation: it seems as though the advertising/spamming agencies have no problem tracking people down, but crime/unfair-business-practices victims seem to be on their own.

    If anyone is interested in my particular scenario, it involves the current domain name administration regime. I represent a client with several well known trademarks. Some person/group has repeatedly registered variations of my client's trademark using false information. Every time my client wants to have the domain cancelled/transferred it costs about $1k. Naturally, my client is none too pleased. Unfortunately, this unknown registrant has never reached out to my client in any way (phone, email, etc). Any advice is much appreciated (as usual).

    Thanks for all the help! This is a great list!

    Sincerely,

    Mark G. Milone, Esq.
    miloneat_private

    and tracking system please see: