RE: Forensics workstations

From: Matt Pepe (mtpepe@code-monks.com)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 18:03:55 PDT

    Elizabeth,
      Hello! If you are intending to simply learn about forensics, and
    data recovery techniques, I would assemble a system that includes the
    following list of hardware. This gets a bit detailed, but I have a
    point in the end (hopefully). The bottom line is to stay away from
    the bleeding edge, or you'll be wasting time with compatibility
    issues, should you end up analyzing legacy hardware (quite inevitable).

     Intel chipset
    	- anything, really. 133Mhz Pentium I is fine.
     IDE controllers
    	- The faster the better, as 90% of all bottlenecks
    	in forensic processing are related to I/O issues
     SCSI controller
    	- Adaptec cards are simply the best and most reliable. I
    	actually used to carry a spare 1542 and 2940 in my raid kit.
     Video card
    	- The type is based completely on your preference for OS.
    	I usually stick with Matrox, as it performs exceptionally
    	well in X Windows and MS products.
     Motherboard / BIOS
    	- This is where it gets tricky. I stay away from the top
    	of the line boards here for compatibility reasons. The BIOS
    	should support the deactivation of all components - should
    	you need to pop in a odd controller someday. For example, I
    	once had a 8 bit ISA card that was a proprietary interface
    	to a floppy drive built to read old Apple/Mac/Amiga disks.
    	It supported two IRQs - both claimed by on-board devices.
     Memory
    	- As much as humanly possible.
     Hard drives
    	- For learning purposes, find a small IDE drive (1-2 G range)
    	to use as the operating system drive. Find a handful of odd
    	sized drive (both IDE and SCSI) to use as "evidence" and
    	"target" media.
     Keyboard with a reinforced "Page Down" key
    	- As I use Quickview Plus, Norton Utilities, Linux and
    	other reliable software instead of shrinkwrapped "forensic"
    	software, Page Down is used quite a bit. Heh.

    We were attempting to make a couple of points with that comment. First,
    simply purchasing a prebuilt system where someone has taken the time to
    provide you with specialty hardware (external power, external IDE
    connectors,
    removable drive bays, 50/68/SCA SCSI connectors) configured to work together
    saves an immense amount of time. This is quite important when a corporate
    entity is standing up an IR team. Second, purchasing a system gives the
    analyst someone to go to when the hardware breaks. In AFOSI, we literally
    had 2-3 rows of rolling storage units 8 feet high stacked with drives, spare
    parts, esoteric hardware and cables. We were our own repair shop, really.
    Most
    organizations simply can't afford to do that. Having a vendor available to
    call up and FedEx a part is an underappreciated ability until you are on
    site
    and really, really need that replacement motherboard that you burned out by
    flipping the 2.5" HD connector when connecting it to the on-board IDE
    controller....

    By the way - somewhere along the way, we hosed up the URL for our source of
    hardware. The URL *should* be http://www.forensic-computers.com/.

    -- Matt Pepe.