RE: Anonymity

From: daniel heinonen (d.heinonenat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 18:12:42 PDT

    Hi all,

    >I think the cotse.com anonymizer service is down now.  BTW, am I reading this
    >wrong or was the question:
    >
    >         ...methods/technologies are used to _discover_ anonymous users?

    I believe that it is important to know what services are out there to be
    able to detect if a suspect has been using such facilities.  If you do a
    check on their cache, history or bookmarks and notice they have listings
    from these services then you have a good chance that they may use these
    facilities.  I think discovering anonymous users is a bit like detecting
    Steganography, one person told me that the only way they detect it is if
    they suspect someone of using it.

    Detecting the use of anonymous users I believe on a technical front would
    be the same as detecting it on a seized computers (however in the scope of
    forensic examination we would not detect in real time so logs are very
    important) you would know the possible services people can use and in your
    proxy/firewall settings or even snort you set it to detect such
    addresses.  I am aware that these services probably have a number of fake
    addresses so that you do not notice but I believe if you try a few of these
    services out you can weed which ones you can detect and which ones you can
    not.

    You can use IP spoofing however this can be detected in some instances,
    ditto with mac address spoofing.

    In the book Digital Crime [1] he mentions the use of Internet terminals,
    Internet cafes and libraries.

    Programs to spoof mail can help you achieve anonymity in your
    communications.  Even hacking at sendmail (older versions at least) can do
    this as well but then you need some way to help keep your identity
    concealed from the people owning the sendmail server.

    Use someone else's account or an account you know 10+ ppl have the password
    for can help your chances not to be caught.

    It can be a difficult problems but normally when catching people who do bad
    things on the net requires real investigation technics, as one person
    mentioned to me recently.  The other thing is even if you can track it down
    to an account or a phone number then you still do not know if that computer
    was hacked or that account is used by other people..

    Hats off to people who are able to track these people.

    Usernames, material which is looked at by the attacker, words
    used,  commands typed can be used to help track the person.  Say if they
    use a regional slang  or type an openBSD command then this will minimise
    the possible people.

    Sorry all for another long email got carried away.
    -Daniel Heinonen

    [1] Barrett, N. Digital Crime, 1996, Kogan Page, London