Re: Artifacts

From: H Carvey (keydet89at_private)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 09:59:02 PDT

    I tried this a couple of months ago, and got
    no responses.

    I agree that the INFO files and .evt files are a
    great place to start.  The .evt files can be
    opened and even exported to a text format
    for correlation and analysis.

    Depending upon the type of investigation
    you're conducting, you will also want to
    consider:

    1.  Volatile information, such as running
    processes, the states of services, network
    connections and shares, etc...stuff that can
    disappear or be reset when the system is
    rebooted.

    2.  Registry key values, as well as the LastWrite
    times from Registry keys.

    3.  MAC times from the files on the system.

    4.  File signature analysis a la EnCase.

    All of the above can be easily implemented in
    Perl.

    Other things you may look for, depending on
    what's on the system:

    - contents of the Recent folder in their profile.
    - contents of Registry keys that contain
    similar info as the Recent folder.
    - contents of Registry keys where
    trojans 'hide'.
    - IRC or AIM logs.
    - logs from wsftp, or similar applications.
    - email files...Eudora and Netscape keep the
    email in flat ASCII files.
    - temp files

    I'd like to help with your list.  You can contact
    me at keydet89at_private, if you so desire.

    and tracking system please see:

    http://aris.securityfocus.com