Artifacts

From: Cameron Farquhar (cameronat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 16:46:20 PDT

    Greetings from the antipodes!

    I am currently compiling a list of key files to examine when performing
    forensic analysis on MS based operating systems and common applications.

    Examples are

    INFO files - These are Recycle bin history records.  They can be recovered
    and analysed using Encase and Data Sniffer.  Provides information on files
    sent to the recycle bin.

    Secevent.evt
    Sysevent.evt
    Appevent.evt - Win2K Event logs.  If deleted can be recovered using Encase
    Escript or Data Sniffer.  They can be opened using the W2k Event Viewer.
    They provide Security, System and application event information on W2k and
    NT systems.

    If you can point me in the direction of an existing resource I would be most
    grateful.  If you have can provide me with information on any other files
    then I will gladly share with you the completed list in PDF when it is
    complete!

    Regards

    Cameron Farquhar

    and tracking system please see: