Re: Putting a signature on logs

From: Rebecca Kastl (rkastlat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 18:37:17 PDT

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, David Douthitt wrote:

    > I've gone to using syslog-ng to keeping logs separated out, and to
    > preserve logs for a long time for record purposes.
    >
    > Now it occurs to me that someone could say, "Gee, how do we know that
    > these logs haven't been altered?"
    >
    > What about a digital signature for each log?  How would you go about
    > this?  I was thinking of using gpg (GNU Privacy Guard) but haven't
    > gotten far enough to know how - and my reference book is the PGP book
    > from O'Reilly and Associates.

    Have you checked out Secure Syslog?

    http://www.corest.com/download/download.html

    Last I looked, this was supposed to do a per entry signature (or ongoing
    updated signature) of log files.  They currently advertise "non-repudiation"
    for the log files maintained by the software.

    It's been a while since I mucked around with this, but you may find it
    helpful.  YMMV.

    --Rebecca Kastl

    and tracking system please see:

    http://aris.securityfocus.com