Re: Putting a signature on logs

From: Brendan Murray (brendan.murrayat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 17:28:02 PDT

    Not quite answering your question......

    Digital signatures are fine of you're trying to prove who signed the file,
    or if you have total control of the logs and you want to make sure someone
    else doesn't change them on you. It doesn't do a whole lot to prove that
    what you've signed is 'real' or 'accurate'. For your own peace of mind its a
    reasonable thing to sign the files, or hash them and preserve the hashes, or
    whatever. Writing them to write-once media handles that just as well -
    doesn't it?

    But it doesn't prove anything except that they haven't been changed since
    they were signed.
    I would suggest that what is needed is some proof of who/when/where. There
    is a standard for electronic timestamping of signatures which can prove that
    a signature was written to a file or object at a given time - doing the same
    thing that PKI achieves for encyption and nonrepudiation. Dates and times
    are such malleable things you need a trusted third party to ensure that
    something really did happen at a given time - your local timestamps may be
    worthless.

    Then you can prove that you (or someone with your private keys) signed a
    file at a given time and it hasn't been changed since then.

    That would achieve your aim for the common or reasonable person in a
    forensic sense, since we assume you've written your logs sometime before
    there is a reason that you might want to change them.

    It still doesn't prove that they're accurate, just that they haven't changed
    since they were signed.

    What almost needs to be created is a logfile format such that each line is
    somehow stamped in a manner such that it is hashed or otherwise 'fixed', you
    can verify that it was created by a certain box at a certain time, in the
    specific format, but that it is non-trivial to create new lines to change
    the reality.  A pipedream probably. And overkill for your needs.