Re: Putting a signature on logs

From: Ariel Waissbein (wata@core-sdi.com)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 11:30:32 PDT

    As for what I see in the thread, everybody agrees that the checksum
    value idea would work fine. However, there is a question I have. If
    you want to authenticate the logs for yourself, meaning that it is
    only you the person that will care for the authentication of the logs,
    then any checksum such as PEO (see my previous mail in the thread)
    will work. If somebody else is to trust in the authenticity of these
    logs, then the plain checksum idea wont work. You'd need to fix a
    protocol for authenticationg logs. An easy way to do it is have
    someone calculate the PEO checksum for you (a plain checksum wouldn't
    work here since you'd be able to alter the logs in your machine and
    modifications would pass unnoticed.

    Ariel Waissbein

    --
    ==============[ CORE Security Technologies ]=============
    Ariel Waissbein

    email :  ariel_waissbeinat_private
    http://www.corest.com

    I was scared. Petrified. Because (x) hearing voices isn't like
    catching a cold, you can't get rid of it with lemmon tea (y)
    it's inside, it is not some naevus, an epidermal blemish you
    can cover up or cauterise (z) I had no control over it. It was
    there of its own volition, just stopped in and (zz) I was going
    bananas.
    -Tibor Fischer ``The Thought Gang"