Re: Putting a signature on logs

From: Jonas Luster (lokiat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 04:20:59 PDT

    * Seth Arnold sez:

    : > Now it occurs to me that someone could say, "Gee, how do we know that
    : > these logs haven't been altered?"
    : >
    : > What about a digital signature for each log?  How would you go about
    : > this?  I was thinking of using gpg (GNU Privacy Guard) but haven't
    : > gotten far enough to know how - and my reference book is the PGP book
    : > from O'Reilly and Associates.
    :
    : gpg (and pgp) are overkill for this application.

    Not necessarily. A service like stamper (locally implemented, e.g.)[1]
    saves the hassle the presentation of logfiles as evidence usually brings
    with it, or reduces it in a sufficient way to warrant the setup time.

    [1] http://www.itconsult.co.uk/stamper/stampinf.htm