Re: Signature on logs/eMail

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 09:30:40 PDT

    On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 12:38:55PM -0700, <> wrote:
    > Does anyone know about a pre/post-processor or sendmail patch, etc. That
    > could be used to apply a hash and SN to an eMail along with a signature and
    > then log this information somewhere?

    If you just want to do it for your local machine, a small wrapper
    program for /usr/sbin/sendmail that makes a quick gpg pass over the
    email and saves the result to database, and then calls the real sendmail
    binary with the right options and passing the email in through the stdin
    would probably do the job quite easily. Note that sendmail (at least on
    my machine) is setuid root, so a shell script isn't likely to work. If
    you go this route, you will want to modify your startup scripts to start
    the real sendmail rather than the wrapper, just to make sure that the
    script is small.

    If you want to do this for a whole organization, I know many popular
    mailers have 'channel' support that would let you run the mail down one
    channel to get hashed and saved, and then run it through the smtp
    handler.

    Cheers :)