RE: Recovering data from a wiped HD

From: Shannon.ONeil (Shannon.ONeilat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 09:26:24 PDT

    To all,

    EnCase will not perform recovery of overwritten data - that is -
    *physically* overwritten by the read/write head.  That is the arena of
    Magnetic Force Microscopy (MFM).

    EnCase *will* "undelete" deleted files, and recover file slack (a 2.5K file
    overwriting a 4K file when block size = 2K will leave 1.5K of the original
    file exposed on the disk).

    We will leave it up to Mr. Polo to build a scanning tunneling microscope to
    accomplish the task behind his original question.

    Shannon O'Neil