Re: Recovering data from a wiped HD

From: Shelly D. (rashel1at_private)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 14:55:51 PDT

    > EnCase will not perform recovery of overwritten data - that is -
    > *physically* overwritten by the read/write head.  That is the arena of
    > Magnetic Force Microscopy (MFM).

    *** I normally will not open my mouth (I'd rather learn
    then make a fool of myself) but I have to ask. If your
    hard drive is partitioned off & you cut & paste everything
    from lets say E drive to F drive will Encase pull up
    the files/folders of what was under what you just moved
    that was written on top of or, will it only pull up
    what you just moved ????? I can read what is above
    but don't know if that means if you don't move the folders
    or once overwritten the folders under it are gone. I have
    Encase but haven't yet messed with it. I have with
    Evidence Eliminator & quickly learned to read directions
    first (or ask someone knowledgeable) !!
        Thank you, Shelly
    ""ABLE Process Service & Investigative Research""  (co-owner)
    Registered,Lic.'ed,bonded & insured.
    P.O.Box 841 Lake Isabella, Ca. 93240.  760-378-2329/fax-760-378-0055
    Member of :ALSS (a new So.CA. assoc.) NAIS,  Chamber of Commerce,
    FOE, assisting the L.A. county coroners office & more.
      Process service, Investigative researching using public records & resources.
    Doing asset searches, missing person locates, background checks & more.
    rashel1at_private  " Everything I say is my opinion "only".