Re: Securely Wiping a Hard Drive

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 10:13:02 PDT

    On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 01:21:43PM -0400, Henderson, Pete wrote:
    > To completely overwrite the entire drive, I would need to boot to a
    > different device.  Correct?  If I slave a hard drive and boot to the
    > master, doesn't Windows still create a recycle bin on the slave?
    > Would mounting it with Linux be a better solution?  Which Linux
    > program works best?

    Anyone doing anything remotely related to data deletion needs to be
    aware of and have read the papers written by Peter Gutmann. His papers
    are far and away the best (publicly available :) research on deleting
    data from various computer storage mediums.

    Note, that his 1996 paper is still the most widely referenced in the
    area, though he did present another paper at the 2001 usenix sec01
    conference. (I've only read notes about his sec01 presentation.. but it
    is on my reading list. :)

    For more Peter Gutmann: http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/

    As for specific answers to this question, 'dd' under any unix or unix
    clone ought to be a great starting point. :)