Re: Forensics on Palm Devices

From: Skip Carter (skipat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 10:12:58 PDT

    > So, how does one go about designing a solution that will secure the data
    > on the handheld while enabling a maintenance recovery mode?  Then in
    > addition accessing the device must be simple and reliable to use in the
    > field.
    >
    > There are several obstacles on this path.  The first is I haven't been
    > able to find any reliable cyrptographic solution that a backup synchronizer
    > like the Palm desktop Hot sync will recognize.

      I have been using the Palm program 'GNU Keyring' for over a year now
      and I am quite happy with it.  It is essentially an encrypted memopad
      application.  The actual memos are stored within the device in 3DES
      which is decrypted with a passphrease, as opposed to merely using the
      passphrase as an access control mechanism.

      http://gnukeyring.sourceforge.net/

    --
     Dr. Everett (Skip) Carter      Phone: 831-641-0645 FAX:  831-641-0647
     Taygeta Scientific Inc.        INTERNET: skipat_private