RE: Re-constructing disks

From: Dave Ausdenmoore (aussieat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 10:52:51 PDT

    Guys - I've no objection to anything that's been said on this thread - good
    ideas all. But this is the one area (preservation of image files to R-CD and
    reconstructing the at a later date) where Linux fails a bit...How about the
    old pre-linux solution: embellished at the request of Scott! <<GG>>

    In the pre-linux days, I would have booted from a floppy with a neutered
    version of DOS or Win 9X (command.com and io.sys altered with a hex editor
    to re-direct calls away from the hard disk and prevent the mounting of a
    compressed volume), a copy of a write blocking utility like Gord Hama's HDL,
    and a copy of SafeBack from then the Sydex company and created 600 meg chunk
    image files to some alternative media. (Safeback would see SCSI tape and
    external drives like a Jaz, my preference was another hard disk mounted in
    the system as a slave.) Those image files would fit nicely on an R-CD, and
    Safeback could then be used to re-construct the image on a same size or
    larger disk than the original.

    Safeback is easy to use, not a bank buster, and gives
    you a restored image that you can then mount an then tear apart in any
    manner you choose!

    $0.02

    aus

    Dave Ausdenmoore                      513.946.6688 (office)
    1000 Sycamore St. Rm 110        513.470.0986 (cellular)
    Cincinnati, Oh 45202                  513.269.1336 (pager)
    daussieat_private (personal)           aussieat_private (business)

    "Keep your focus on Providence, and Fear nothing"
    - Kyriacos C. Markides, on the Attack on America, 10/1/2001