Re: Re-constructing disks

From: Neil Long (neil.long@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 17 2001 - 11:55:44 PDT

    Hi Dave

    many thanks to all those who sent replies. Life is complicated enough these
    days and I am grateful for the gentle prod to remember about oseek. Laptops
    in particular also have other partitions to consider.

    E.g. typically (?) a Dell Inspiron may have a hibernation slice (in that
    case ID 132) which still has to be treated as a binary blob and is not easy
    to recreate from a DOS world - I prefer FreeBSD as the utilities enable a
    closer match to partition sizes and IDs - e.g. an 'identical' disk model may
    have different geometry as far as the BIOS is concerned.

    Anyone else use FreeBSD? If I take a full dd image (e.g. /dev/ad2) which
    consists of 2 slices ad2s1 and ad2s2 each of which is a different disk ID
    (e.g. weird hibernation and a FAT32) and then try to write it back using dd
    and of=/dev/ad2 I get an 'Operation not permitted' error - I am fairly
    confident that a seperate dd extraction and write back will work in such
    cases (i.e. read and write ad2s1).

    Just curious as to if anyone using the minmal DOS methods has any success or
    failure reports for these cases.

    I am going to have to run some tests on realistic examples rather than test
    real case work.

    regards
    Neil