Re: boobytraps

From: William D. Colburn (aka Schlake) (wcolburnat_private)
Date: Thu Nov 29 2001 - 08:59:27 PST

    Back on the VAX (nmtvax, if anyone still has an old arpanet hosts file)
    we used to play a game (in the middle of the night when no important
    users were online).  The game was called "wheelwars".  The object was for
    one sysadmin to reign supreme (be the only one logged in).

    You might consider such a game as part of your lab.  I think it would
    certainly work for part of the "bobbytrap" host.  You will need to
    develop a few rules.  I think our rules included no ready-made programs
    or scripts (you had to write them during the game), no file or account
    deletions (since it was a production system), and no messing with the
    hardware.

    One thing that comes out of playing a game like this is that people tend
    to become really aware of the system, and will start to notice things
    that unusual.

    --
    William Colburn, "Sysprog" <wcolburnat_private>
    Computer Center, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology