RE: boobytraps

From: Steven Wood (swood@alste-tech.com)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 00:03:27 PST

    I can tell what I see in the field for boobytraps on a semi-regular
    basis. They are not that sophisticated but the bad guys think they work.

    A lot of the German hacker types create a boot disk that they leave in
    their floppy drive at all times. This disk has a program on it that
    blows the partition away when they reboot. Not too sexy but for a
    non-forensics person the data is gone.

    I took a statement from one software pirate that this was the standard
    practice for their entire group. They all had these "special" disks.
    What they did is when the Police knock and announce they either turn the
    computer on or reboot it to activate the trap.

    >From a LE side this goes a long way toward intent and we can even toss
    on obstruction of justice and destruction of evidence. In the end we
    still get all the data back but this is the most common approach I have
    seen.

    Steven Wood MCSE, MCSD
    Senior Computer Forensics Investigator
    ALSTE Technologies GmbH, Germany