Re: Evidence Dynamics, was => Re: boobytraps

From: H Carvey (keydet89at_private)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 22:27:33 PST

    > You have to know
    >what and why you are doing those things ahead of
    time,
    >as well as what the consequences are of each action.
    >Having a defined action plan that you have used
    in the
    >past is quite essential to success during the
    litigation
    >process.

    You're absolutely right.  If your methodology
    states that you will collect the volatile
    information from the machine...process listing,
    network connections, command history in an open
    prompt window, etc...and/or you have a reason for
    collecting it that you can justify and have
    *documented*, then doing so can help your case
    greatly.

    Other items, such as queries for some of those
    'boobytraps', should also be included.  I would
    suggest a program that queries certain Registry
    keys and locations in the file system for entries
    that are initiated when the machine boots or a
    user logs in.  This program should send it's
    output to STDOUT so that it's easily piped out
    through a socket and off of the 'victim' machine
    itself.  Perhaps some other minor checks would be
    necessary.

    For example, many systems have MSOffice installed.
     Few people notice that a small program is dumped
    into the startup directory for "All Users", which
    is part of Office.  Someone designing a trojan
    could simply overwrite the .exe file that the
    shortcut points to...

    But again, it's very important that the
    investigator knows exactly what such things do to
    a system.