RE: Evidence Dynamics, was => Re: boobytraps

From: Eoghan Casey (eoghan.caseyat_private)
Date: Sun Dec 02 2001 - 12:15:41 PST

    Matt,

    I think that the analogy applies if you accept that evidence dynamics is
    not limited to obliteration of evidence. "Evidence dynamics is any
    influence that changes, relocates, obscures, or obliterates evidence,
    regardless of intent, between the time evidence is transferred and the
    time the case is adjudicated". For instance, in a violent crime, the
    position of the victim or patterns of blood spatter can be important when
    reconstructing the crime. If the victim is moved or blood is smeared
    before they are photographed (e.g. when emergency response personnel move
    the victim) it becomes more difficult to reconstruct the crime. In this
    situation, interviews with witnesses or the first responders can help gain
    a better sense of the original state of the scene.

    Even if you are never called upon to assist in the investigation of a
    violent crime and are just responsible for forensic analysis of computer
    systems in other types of crime, it can be very helpful to have an
    understanding of more general aspects of forensic science and criminal
    investigation. For instance, Criminalistics by Saferstein provides a good
    overview of Forensic Science. Criminal Profiling by Turvey provides a
    significant amount of practical information about investigation of violent
    crime, including evidence dynamics and crime reconstruction.

    Eoghan