Re: data recovery

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2001 - 10:50:14 PST

    On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 01:14:01PM -0500, Darren Welch wrote:
    > I am looking to protect the data on our corporate pc's.

    from whom? (Examples include employees, ex-employees, directed digital
    attacks, directed physical attacks, random digital attacks, acts of
    god..) What are you afraid this person may do with your data? (Examples
    include destroying data, changing data, selling data..)

    > 1. bios passwords

    Trivially bypassed on most machines, except perhaps for those IBM
    laptops you mentioned.. :) This one seems mostly annoying.

    This will not protect your data from trojans, virii, or legitimate users.

    > 2. hard disk encryption

    Perhaps your vendor of hard disk encryption supports key escrow as well,
    so that you could have a backup key stored centrally?

    This will not protect your data from trojans, virii, or legitimate users.

    > 3. drive locks.

    What are these? Physical locks that prevent a hard drive from being
    removed from the case?

    Consider who may be attacking your data, and what those attacks may look
    like. Then try to figure out what possibilities could defend against
    those attacks. :)

    Cheers

    --
    "Soldiers quartered in a populous town will always occasion two mobs
    where they prevent one. They are wretched conservators of the peace."