Re: 'touch' on Win32

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 09:36:14 PST

    On Mon, 07 Jan 2002 08:16:01 PST, H C <keydet89at_private>  said:

    > This weekend, I wrote a simple Perl script that
    > implements *nix 'touch' functionality on Win32
    > What effect would such a utility have on an
    > investigation, particularly one being prosecuted?
    > (this question is primarily to the expert witnesses,
    > but I'd be glad to hear from anyone)

    The first thing out of the defense attorney's mouth should be:
    "Prove that you didn't use this 'touch' utility to backdate an
    altered logfile to incriminate my client".

    It may be a very useful tool during the *repair/recovery* phase,
    to reset corrupted timestamps on files.  You may even need it
    while actively fighting an ongoing attack (for instance, a number
    of automated worm program will roll over and die if you do a
    'touch some_critical_flag_file' to create the poison pill).

    However, I can't conceive of a time you'd be using it during
    an investigation, with one exception:

    If you have cloned a hacked/infected machine and are doing a
    forensics analysis of it on a testbed network to analyse the
    inner workings of a captured tool/virus/worm, you may be using
    'touch' to simulate various runtime conditions.  For instance,
    a tool may check "has file XYZ been modified in last 24 hours?",
    and touch could give you the ability to test different code paths.

    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Operating Systems Analyst