RE: 'touch' on Win32

From: Steve McMahon (mcmahonat_private)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 08:38:34 PST

    At 04:22 AM 1/8/2002, H C wrote:
    >Further, the script I wrote changes all of the
    >FILETIMES, not just last access and modification.
    >I have spoken to a few individuals who have experience
    >in the forensics field from the LE perspective.
    >Fortunately, none of the ones I spoke to have seen
    >this sort of functionality in place during an
    >investigation.

    While I can't comment on the law enforcement perspective, this functionality is well-known to Windows NT/2K/XP programmers and its use is commonplace in utilities. Try unzipping a file with winzip onto an NTFS drive. The unpacked file will have create, write and access times all set to the date stored in the archive. (Consider the implications for a trojan program shipped around by archive.) Microsoft's hotfixes also fiddle the create and write times to match Redmond's copies. I believe Office programs routinely save files in a way that causes working copies to take on the create times of the just-deleted original.

    My impression is that the only filetime information that is not routinely falsified on NTFS file systems is the MFT Record Change time.

    Steve McMahon
    Anzuru Technologies
    mcmahonat_private
    office: (530) 757-7082