RE: Hard drive write blocking in Windows

From: daniel heinonen (d.heinonenat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 02:19:00 PST

    At 09:11 PM 09/01/02 -0600, you wrote:
    >>"EnCase presents several options to non-invasive acquire hard drives,
    >>many of which are unique to the field of computer forensics"  [1]

    That was on page 57 I should have re-read the chapter before i posted.  P55
    states "EnCase acquires hard drives in either a DOS environment, or in a
    Windows environment where a specially designed hardware write-blocking
    device is utilize.

    >Please name ONE that is "unique to the field of computer forensics"

    "For instance, EnCase is currently the only product that enables forensic
    acquisitions in a Windows environment" was the next line in the book.  Also
    the ability to handle software raid.

    Mind you I have heard of LE using samba and BSD in the past to examine.

    I will stop positing in my sleep and re-read my books.  Btw the below book
    is the most practical book on the topic I have read.  Whoever asked about
    articles written about UNIX and forensics should have a glance at this book
    first.

    FYI, I am changing email address for a few reasons.  Hence I will be
    changing my status from random poster to lurker.

    Many regards,
    Daniel

    [1] Casey, H. 2001, "Handbook of computer crime investigation - Forensic
    tools and technology" Academic Press