Re: Top Ten List!?

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Sat Jan 19 2002 - 22:11:14 PST

    On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 10:10:46 PST, Richard Chadderton said:

    > On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 Valdis.Kletnieksat_private wrote:
    >
    > > >   dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/hdb
    > >
    > > GAAAK!!!! No! No! No!
    > >
    > > This will *NOT* do what you want it to do.
    >
    > Well, at the risk of descending into a flame war over a trivial point, yes
    > it _does_ do what I want. I think you misunderstood the objective. The
    > point was _not_ to create ideal random data for the disk, but simply to
    > overwrite it with something. Anything. Your MP3 collection. Grandma's

    Right.  *THAT* I agree with. The point I took objection to was the
    implication that /dev/urandom was a good source for large pseudorandom
    streams.  Sure, if it's a box you're about to surplus ANYHOW, the fact
    that it degrades to a pseudorandom stream and hoses every user of /dev/random
    probably doesn't matter.

    What *does* matter is all the cargo-cult programmers out there who will
    then *literally* use /dev/urandom in something without understanding the
    implications of it in a production system.  "Hmm... I saw somebody use
    it to zero out a 40G disk drive, it must be basically for free..".

    (For bonus points - if you're using trinux or some other cd/zip based
    linuxoid to wipe a system before discarding it, what rate will it converge
    on if you accidentally use /dev/random in the above 'dd' command?  Hint -
    you're probably almost never doing a long seek on the hard drive ;)

    Personally, the systems we've been surplusing lately, I've been
    recommending at least 4 passes - all zeros x'00000', all ones x'ffffffff',
    alterneting bits x'5555', and a pseudorandom pass.  Throw a pass of x'aaaa'
    in after the 5555 if you're bored.

    And remember - if you need more than a few bytes, use /dev/urandom to seed a
    good user-space pseudorandom bitstream generator.

    /Valdis