Re: Top Ten List!?

From: Richard Chadderton (rchadderat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 10:10:46 PST

    On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 Valdis.Kletnieksat_private wrote:

    > >   dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/hdb
    >
    > GAAAK!!!! No! No! No!
    >
    > This will *NOT* do what you want it to do.

    Well, at the risk of descending into a flame war over a trivial point, yes
    it _does_ do what I want. I think you misunderstood the objective. The
    point was _not_ to create ideal random data for the disk, but simply to
    overwrite it with something. Anything. Your MP3 collection. Grandma's
    recipies. Whatever you like. It doesn't really matter all that much. A few
    passes with with different 'unpredictable' data, and the original is gone.
    Finish it up with /dev/zero just to be neat and tidy. The disk with the
    old data is now clean enough to resuse for evidence collection.

    I agree that the random drivers available in Linux are slow and not really
    all that random. I have a little gadget (essentially a white noise
    generator)  that sucks pretty good entropy from the air whenever I need to
    stir things up a bit. Other readers interested such things this should
    read "Random Number Machines" [1]

    As before, I say:

    > Disclaimer:  Regular readers of this list will of course have several
    > refinements to suggest. The above is meant as a simple introduction to
    > the process to demonstrate how easy it is, not as a definitive
    > reference...

    > Remember: Thou Shalt Not Drain the Entropy Pool Un-needfully.

    Entropy isn't what it used to be...

    Cheers!
    ---
    Richard Chadderton

    ______
    [1] "Random Number Machines: A Literature Survey", by Terry Ritter.
    	http://www.ciphersbyritter.com/RES/RNGMACH.HTM