RE: Encase and data recovery

From: Young, Brandon (Brandon.Youngat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 12:37:50 PST

    Eoghan,

    Actually what we did was a keyword search for specific strings that i knew where in the original logs. The only hits
    that were found were remnents in the pagefile.sys. But the problem is in that a real scenario how would we have known to
    look for those key words? There are alot of variables in that scenario. Additionally, were only able to recover a few of
    the commands from the page file so that gave us only an idea of had happened. The log files I can see being over written
    to the same space on the disk which is an interesting fact, but what I can't figure out is why all of the tools weren't
    able to be recovered since AFAIK there wasn't anything written to that particular portion of the disk. When we did the
    searches for the tools, I actually did a keyword search for all of the tools and files I created in the directory tree
    and came up with nothing. I guess another question that arises is, is this a result of NTFS since the option to recover
    folders is not availble within Encase as is the case with FAT. I need to do more resaerch into why this is. I know it is
    briefly mentioned in the encase documentation but I haven't researched it further.

    -Brandon