RE: Encase and data recovery

From: Lee, Robert T. (ROBERT.T.LEE-2at_private)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 06:36:47 PST

    Brandon,

    Another option may be to compare the results from your Encase search and
    then run another search using the Unix port of "cat","strings", and
    "grep" on that filesystem and see if it produces any hits.

    Example:

    C:\>cat \\.\PhysicalDrive0 | strings | grep test

    Or if you have multiple strings put them in a file and run

    C:\>cat \\.\PhysicalDrive0 | strings | fgrep -f file-with-patterns

    Or if you do not have the ports of these tools, mount the drive on your
    favorite Linux flavor or choice and run the same test.

    Just a thought...  I would be interested to see if that produces the
    hits you are looking for.

    --Rob