Re: Idea: A Comprehensive List

From: Bill Weiss (houdiniat_private)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 19:50:13 PST

    Sounds like a good idea.  I've got comments inline.

    Matthew.Brownat_private(Matthew.Brownat_private)@Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 05:17:17PM -0800:
    > Folks
    >
    >         I'd like to create a list of resources to respond to future
    > inquiries on this list.  I will maintain this list to keep from adding to
    > the moderator's existing workload.  I suggest listing tools and services
    > in the following areas. I've added a few to get us started below my
    > signature block.
    >
    >         This might also help in determining a scope for forensics labs and
    > field kits. Many tools have moved through this list and it is a shame we
    > haven't been keeping track of them. There are plenty of web sites, but I
    > think with the expertise we have on this list, we could also provide some
    > feedback on these tools once a list has been compiled.  Feedback and
    > participation is welcome.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Matthew Brown, CISSP
    > Principal Consultant
    >
    > Sandbox tools (To Trap):
    >         snort
    >         trafshow
    >         ethereal
    >         tcpdump
    >         nmap

    I wouldn't call these "sandbox".  chroot is an example of sandbox.
    These would be sniffers, or "capture tools".
    nmap isn't even that.

    > IDS (To Detect):  (These are the tools that create evidence we end up
    > examining during incidents afterall)
    <snip>

    > Evidence Capturing - Software:
    <snip>

    > Evidence Capturing - Hardware:
    <snip>
    > Evidence Examination:
    >         Coroner's Toolkit (TCT)
    >         EnCase
    >         SATAN
    >         NTI

    SATAN is a network scanner.  In the same class as nmap, I guess.

    > Data Recovery:
    <snip>
    > Certifications - Organizations that certify in the areas of Digital
    > Forensics, Incident Response, or Digital Investigations:
    <snip>

    --
    Bill Weiss