Re: Idea: A Comprehensive List

From: backoffmymachineat_private
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 10:29:52 PST

    Bill,

    Not to nit-pick but Nmap may be better classified as a port scanner instead of "network scanner". I guess since it will OS fingerprint is may be classified as a network scanner. However, when I think of a network scanner I lean more towards the vulnerability scanners such as nessus, SATAN, Internet Scanner, etc.

    Or, since the list is *bound* get bigger, maybe a seperate category for vulnerability/network scanners and port scanners (although for the life of me I can't think of another "port scanner" at the moment). That, of course will be left for Mathew to decide.

    Regards,

    Bomm

    <snip>
    >I wouldn't call these "sandbox".  chroot is an example of sandbox.
    >These would be sniffers, or "capture tools".
    >nmap isn't even that.

    >SATAN is a network scanner.  In the same class as nmap, I guess.
    </snip>

    Hush provide the worlds most secure, easy to use online applications - which solution is right for you?
    HushMail Secure Email http://www.hushmail.com/
    HushDrive Secure Online Storage http://www.hushmail.com/hushdrive/
    Hush Business - security for your Business http://www.hush.com/
    Hush Enterprise - Secure Solutions for your Enterprise http://www.hush.com/