RE: Encase and data recovery

From: crazytrain.com (subscribeat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 09:17:25 PST

    Hmm. . . I've been reading through this thread . . . maybe I've gotten lost
    somewhere.  I'll just babble a bit;

    1)  There are the unix for win32 tools availabe.  However, I would not
    recommend using this for data forensics analysis UNLESS you have tested and
    verified that they do not change the evidence.  My thinking here is you're
    still relying on the ol' beast - the operating systems, a win32
    environment.  Plus, if you're looking to use these commands, then why not
    use them in their natural environment.

    2) The source code for these commands can be viewed. You can read what is
    happening when you issue a command (whether, mount, script, strings,
    strace, dd, md5sum, tee, stat, dumpe2fs, fdisk, sfdisk, sdd, etc.).

    3) As already mentioned you can mount the volume with various flags set so
    as to avoid altering the evidence (flags such as '-o ro,noexec,noatime').
    Further, you can control your *nix system so that devices are not
    recognized automatically, but only manually (automounter, fstab, etc.).

    4)  Matt is correct.  If you look at the image created by EnCase it is not
    a true and accurate image.  May be twisting words here, but EnCase embeds
    information within the EnCase image.  Ever try to find the partition table
    in an EnCase image?  (Safeback also embeds data)   Using 'dd' will create a
    true and accurate image.

    5) As for Matt's idea of taking an EnCase image and creating a flat image
    from it . . . I believe the public will soon have access to such a tool.
    Currently only beta testers do.

    maybe this helps?

    farmerdude