Re: Suggestions for research

From: Yuri Demchenko (demchat_private)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 09:17:12 PST

    Matt Pepe wrote:

    > > There is one good topic: to define data format for Evidence collection
    > > capable for court admission. You can touch legal issues as little as
    > > you
    > > want but still deal with really CS related issues.
    > >

    > Actually, I dont believe that he would get much credit for such a topic,
    > unless the professor had little knowledge of evidence collection and the
    > legal issues involved.  This is not a CS problem.  Sure we can produce
    > MD5 and SHA1 hashes for every sector, hash those results, pass the
    > resultant hashes to five third-party independent data warehouses.. Hell,
    > print the hashes on the side of a Ariane 5 rocket, launch it into space, and
    > require  the deposition of an astronaut as a fact witness, reading the
    > values during orbit.
    > The fact is that the hashes are there for data integrity, mainly to prove that
    > when the embodiment of the evidence changes (actual device to raw
    > image to CDs, to Safeback image, etc) the information has not changed.
    > This technology and mathematics behind the algorithms has been
    > proven, both in "real life" and in court.  When it comes down to the
    > accuracy of the evidence obtained, that rests on the shoulders of the
    > investigators involved. This is no different than tracking evidence, both
    > actual and demonstrative, in any other case.
    >
    > > And one more benefits, you can do useful thing for ongoing
    > development
    > > of the IODEF (Incident Object Description and Exchange Format)
    > >

    > This looks quite interesting! How widespread is this task force, and does
    > it mesh with some of the vulnerability databases out there (CVE, for
    > example)?

    I need to repeat urls from my original reply.

    TERENA's IODEF WG (http://www.terena.nl/tech/iodef/) has finished it's
    work with the final draft document
    > http://www.terena.nl/tech/iodef/docs/draft-terena-iodef-xml-005-final.txt

    Remaining tasks include producing managerial and user guides for IODEF
    implementation and usage to be completed soon.

    Ongoing IODEF Project -
    http://www.surfnetters.nl/meijer/tf-csirt/iodef/pilot.html
    will produce IODEF API and XML library by September.

    Further work on IODEF development has moved to IETF
    http://www.terena.nl/tech/inch/

    This week INCH BoF meeting at IETF53 -
    http://www.ietf.org/ietf/02mar/inch.txt

    FYI: IETF INCH mailing list:

    Post: inchat_private
    Subscribe: send mail to listservat_private with "subscribe inch
    <first name> <last name>" in the body
    Mailing List Archive: http://listserv.surfnet.nl/archives/inch.html

    You are welcome to INCH/IODEF development.

    Yuri