Re: Static Forensic Analysis in Japanese (and other Languages)

From: Tobias Diedrich (ranmaat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 00:21:28 PST

    Stephen wrote:
    > Although it would be nice to beable to talk to you apps with
    > Kangi/Hirigana, I dont think it will be entirely necessary.

    s/Kangi/Kanji/;s/Hirigana/Kana/; # (or Kanji/Hiragana/Katakana)

    > One of the suggestions I would elaborate on is using a *nix system
    > (linux perhaps) to mount -o loop the drive images. But before that

    You should note however that unix uses a different character encoding
    for Japanese (eucjp vs. shift_jis in the windows world vs. iso2022-jp
    usually used in emails).

    FYI the problem about japanese in this case is that it uses doublebyte
    characters (most characters are represented by two bytes instead of one,
    because there are >2000 Characters), so tools for searching for text may not
    work correctly. I think I have seen a japanese capable strings
    somewhere, though.

    --
    Tobias								PGP: 0x9AC7E0BC