Re: a few new DoD developed/enhanced forensic tools

From: William Salusky (changeat_private)
Date: Sun Apr 14 2002 - 15:20:23 PDT

    Sec <securityat_private> said:
    > Are you sure they do not contain spyware?=0D

    Heh, this is the first thing I thought myself when the tools were provided,
    but I did my own level of due diligence, and now feel okay when using them.

    As I mentioned, I neither developed or maintain any of the provided tools.
    Source code only is provided and should of course be reviewed.  During
    compile time and at execution time, my sniffer picked up nothing out of the
    ordinary and tripwire file integrity checking was also came up clean.

    FYI, they are forensic tools, and I as a matter of practice do not leave a
    forensic workstation connected with live public internet access during an
    investigation, so the risk of spyware would be minimal and easily detected.
    These tools are all in use by the DCFL and Air Force(and likely other
    government offices), and used in an ongoing basis to press cases.

    These tools were provided to me so that I could build a custom and very
    specific bootable image for the Air Force to be used in
    establishing/obtaining case evidence.  I'm just happy that these
    organizations are willing to share the tools they have developed in house,
    and a great point is that for free tools, they already have court case
    precedence.

    William