Keystroke loggers used in forensic examination

From: Burnette, Michael (MWB@rh-law.com)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 08:45:19 PDT

    Given the importance of documentation in forensic examination, I am
    curious to know if any of you use keystroke loggers as a documentation
    tool and what brand if you do.  We were lamenting the ways to implement
    keystroke logging in a DOS environment modified for forensics work and
    the thought arose to use this hardware-based logger:

    http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/gadgets/5a05.shtml

    It sits between the keyboard and PS/2 port and records 65K keystrokes at
    a time.  I read up on it and it apparently doesn't record some control
    functions since it's memory is accessible via what amounts to playback
    through a text editor and could trip harmful PC functions if it tried.
    It has some obvious benefits although the control key exceptions make it
    less than desirable for Unix examinations.  It would seem an interesting
    thing to try as long as you aren't using GUI based investigative
    software.  Anyone used it or one like it?

    Michael Burnette
    Rogers & Hardin LLP
    Atlanta, GA   USA

    This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the
    addressee(s) only and may be confidential and covered by the
    attorney/client and other privileges. If the reader is not the intended
    recipient, DO NOT READ, notify sender and delete this message. In
    addition, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of
    the contents of this message is strictly prohibited.